Monday, April 15, 2019



retired and at the desk on Monday
before she leaves places a vase
of flowers upon my work station
she has made me a lunch
actually, lunches ready to go
Tupperware, slices of tomatoes
slices of red onion, lettuce cut
sliced ham, turkey, garlic bologna
these will be checked and refreshed
i have to put it all together
never once using a utensil, pan free lunch
i have mastered the microwave
i have my choices in bread too
but they are all the healthy ones
lots of natural grains, me and the birds
receive the same care
she dotes on everyone
if i need some snacks like nuts
i can check the yard
and see what the squirrels have left
there is always the fruit in the Tupperware
in case i want to blender up more health
i am well aware of what this is all about
those lectures on fast food
the perils of retirement and diet
so i keep to her wishes
she has my ear as that part of me
who loves the mother she is to me at times
listen to her every word
and when the temptation becomes a bit much
i meet her for lunch 
i have a bacon cheeseburger, fries
thus rivers converge in all honesty
in an ambiance devoted to the love we are
moments i steal her away from the day
my thiefdom, where forty thieves guard
what i behold across the table

 


3/3/19

No comments:

Post a Comment