Saturday, April 6, 2019



i have retrieved a rose from our garden
the stereo is set to play Ravel's Bolero
she is in the kitchen at work on dinner
i come in and wait, holding the rose behind
wait for her attention to present its back to me
i hit the button, place the rose in my mouth
i begin my Albatross mating dance
they mate for life
her hands fall to the stove
one of those rare moments of me she well knows
shoulders dip inward
head shakes in a moment of disbelief
as she turns with a slight chuckle
there i am the bird in epigamic feathering
the look of the Macho Spanish Dancer
my gaze is dead center on the target
hands upon my hips as i menacingly move in
prancing like Lipizzans i traverse the kitchen
throwing my head back like a victorious stallion
i draw on visions of Huns at the gates
this is not a mission but a terminal with destiny
the hounds of hell whimper, retreat from my feet
this continues for a couple of minutes
then approaching her as a brave matador
the thought of perishing for love excites me
to die for the Red, Red Rose
kneeling, i present her the rose
the knight errant surrenders, to wander no more
life's chivalrous quest has ceased at her knees
taking the rose she commands me to my feet
her hand finds my cheek beckoning my lips
eyes that possess a gravity only stars command
our lips meet
at dinner, she is still in that smile
worth every prance
and that is why i watch nature films
you can learn a lot about love from an Albatross
and one more point, bulls are color blind

2/27/19

No comments:

Post a Comment