Sunday, April 7, 2019

i am sitting at the table
she is finishing the meal
they come off in compartments
dishes arrive, she turns and heads for another
i play each arrival over and over
the smells assault me. i am watering taste buds
never do i lose my sight of her
as she maneuvers thru each wrap-up
turns and delivers
my eyes follow her every step
then comes the finale
it is all set up
it is now we bow our heads
begin our moment of gratitude
my eyes return to her
she breathes heavily in
surveys her skills now residing in dishes
looks back at me and smiles
there is nothing commonplace in my life
not a moment exists that my eyes
do not hunger for her
i told her once why i compared me to a butterfly
because dear, if i were visioning a moth 
lost chasing a flame
i would have been foolishly consumed
that first night in our Italian restaurant
what i call my That's Amore moment
when i fully realized it was you
sitting across from me
i would have perished in that candle
missed my first dance with you
my dear, holding you was far better
then hoping for that piece of spaghetti
bringing me to your lips
Tramp got lucky with Lady
but i got far luckier
why sometimes i have to pinch myself
as i watch you, a reminder it is not wishful thinking
that all of this is my constant reality
may sound a bit emotional, it is
an emotion that runs from my heart to my soul
why my eyes return to her
why the swallows return to Capistrano

2/25/19

No comments:

Post a Comment