Friday, April 19, 2019

i am finished with this one
close the computer
walk to the printer
saunter into her craft room
lower me into my chair
she drops her project
looks up, is it finished she says
yes, i reply
i then begin reading to her
still a perfectionist as long ago
when i used to read to her poetry
on a bench in a park
i do not allow myself to watch her
full concentration on delivery
i am Romeo delivering to my Juliet
i have to have full command of bardolatry
i finish and look up
she rises up and takes the poem
sits on the arm of the chair
i wait with the patience of Job
it is beautiful she says
repeats a few favorite lines
pulls me to her lips
some men long for recognition
for their labors
i understand this
but for me everything is within her
that she honors and loves my labors
is what gives meaning to my life
what the world thinks, the world thinks
what she thinks is my world

4/1/19

No comments:

Post a Comment